Remote Sensing helps in better assessment and management of water resources, due to the synoptic coverage and possibilities of revisit from the EO constellation of satellites. Proper management of water resources is very important for the country and there are multiple challenges with regard to Water resources that can be effectively addressed using space inputs. Broadly, the parameters that could be monitored could be categorised into surface water and ground water. While surface water manifests in terms of water bodies, reservoirs, river channels, snow cover etc., the ground water occurs at different aquifers underground. ISRO works in close coordination with the Ministry of Water Resources on various topics of water resources, including varieties of aspects related to Hydrological models, to help the ministry in effective management of water resources in the country. ISRO is actively involved in several projects to make inventory and monitoring of the water resources in the country. Following are some of the specific areas of highlight.
- Extent and duration of the surface water spread is useful for planning reservoir operations, assessing aquaculture potential etc. and fortnightly surface water spread data could be derived from satellite data.
- Satellite derived parameters have been used for re-assessment of basin-wise water resources in the country, jointly by ISRO and CWC.
- On behalf of CWC, methodology has been developed for using space data and Bhuvan platform, to assess the status of irrigation infrastructure development for estimating the irrigation potential developed.
- The potential of satellite data derived parameters has been exploited for forecasting short-term and seasonal snow-melt runoff.
- Using the information on the factors that control the occurrence and movement of ground water, its prospects information has been derived at national level, at the behest of Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation.
- Spatial Information systems at National and State levels are also developed for informed decision making, related to the water resources under the respective jurisdictions.
Ground Water Prospects Map: Multiple GIS Layers Integrated